Ground Chicken Cuban Picadillo
Picadillo is a traditional Latin-American dish, much similar to hash. Ground meat, spices, tomatoes and a bunch of veggies makes picadillo a simple yet filling part of our day-to-day meal. Every country in Latin America has delivered its own touch to Picadillo. The Costa Ricans cook their picadillo with bell peppers, onions and herbs while the inhabitants of Dominican Republic include cider vinegar, hard-boiled egg, bouillon cube, olives and capers to the dish. Cuban picadillo enthrall your taste buds with a burst of flavors. The savory zest from the spices mingles with the tangy tomatoes to create a charming dish while every bite of raisin in it fills your mouth with a fruity sweetness. Some Cuban version also encourages a splash of white wine to it but a picadillo will taste equally mesmerizing even without the hint of alcohol. Nothing can be more versatile than a bowl of picadillo! You can stuff it inside tortillas, tacos or into fritters or serve it over a bed of rice; every time this offshoot of hash is bound to charm you with its flavors. However, if you want to enjoy picadillo in authentic Cuban way, serve it over black turtle beans and rice to indulge you senses to its simple yet delicious zest.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Handful of fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- A dash of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sauté the chopped onions over moderately high heat until they turn soft and lucid.
- Add the ground chicken along with garlic, spices and salt, continue to sauté the mixture until the chicken turns brown and is cooked through.
- Stir in the tomato paste followed by the raisins, stir well to mix.
- Cover and let the picadillo simmer over low flame for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cilantro and almonds on top and stir well to distribute them evenly throughout the mixture.
- Serve hot over a bed of brown or white rice.