Goi Cuon With Ground Chicken
Rice rolls are a rage in Vietnam and like any other street food, they are a comfort to your senses. Goi cuon is one such roll from the streets of Vietnam which have prawns or pork, herbs and other ingredients wrapped up in a fine rice paper and served just like that. It is an offshoot of spring rolls but it is not deep–fried unlike them. Thus goi cuon makes a healthy, low fat option as your entree for lunch on a warm summer. It is nothing but a wrapped-up salad and an ideal on-the-go meal. The freshness for cilantro, basil, mint and crunchy lettuce gives an embracing feel to these summer rolls. Goi cuon might taste a little bland to your palate if had alone but a dipping by its side like hoisin sauce, peanut sauce or lime fish sauce bring out a burst of flavors in them. A single bite on goi cuon and you will realize why it is listed among the ‘30 most delicious foods in the world’ by CNN in 2011. Though traditional goi cuon involves pork but swap them with ground chicken keeping the healthy aspect in mind. Don’t worry your goi cuon will taste equally wonderful with its healthy twist.
- 20 rice wrappers
- 1/2 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Small pack of rice vermicelli
- A handful of basil leaves
- 2 cups lettuce leaves, chopped
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 6 spring onions stalk, sliced
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Oil as needed
- Salt to taste
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Combine all the ingredients for sauce, stir well to mix and set aside.
- Boil the rice vermicelli following the instructions in its package, drain and keep it aside.
- Stir-fry the ground chicken in oil over medium heat along with minced ginger and garlic.
- Pour in the soy sauce, and season with salt and cayenne pepper, continue to cook, while crumbling them with the spoon, until they brown and is cooked through.
- Submerge the rice wrappers in a pan of warm water and arrange on plate.
- Spread portions of cooked ground chicken lengthwise at the centre of each wrapper.
- Arrange the vermicelli and remaining ingredients for summer roll over the rice paper and wrap it up tightly into a tight roll.
- Serve with the lime fish sauce by its side.