Shepherd’s pie is one of the most favored dinner dishes in every English home. This meat pie, made of a blend of ground meat and veggies under the layers of mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese, makes a filling meal while the rich yet delectable flavors bestow a feeling of comfort to the senses. This meal made out of simple, easily available ingredients helps you and your family enjoy delicious food without worrying about exceeding the budget. In spite of its inexpensive elements, the shepherd’s pie turns out to be a zesty affair. The juicy filling mingles with the rich creaminess of the cheddar cheese to create magic. However, to bring the best out of the shepherd’s pie, choose the cheddar cheese wisely. The processed ones with subtle flavors work best for this meat pie. Steer clear of the other variants because their sharp, pungent flavors can ruin the authentic essence of the dish. So cook this classic savory shepherd’s pie with ground chicken for the next family dinner while keeping your pockets warm with the saved money.
- 1 ½ lb ground chicken
- 4 potatoes
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until they turn tender; peel and mash them, along with butter and some minced garlic, into fine mass.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the garlic and onions until the latter turn lucid.
- Stir in the ground chicken, mushrooms and remaining vegetables.
- Continue to sate the chicken mixture until they turn brown.
- Season with thyme, pepper and salt.
- Add in the flour and cook for a minute before pouring in the chicken stock, simmer the broth until the gravy attains a thick consistency.
- Pour the thickened meat sauce into a baking dish and spread the mashed potatoes over it.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over it and bake the pie for half an hour at 350 degrees F.
- Remove from oven when the cheese melts and becomes golden brown.
- Serve immediately.