Ground Chicken Caribbean Burrito
Burrito is a Mexican delight wrapped in tortillas. A burrito is a wholesome dish which can satisfy your hunger at any point of time. Stuff the tortilla with a healthy stuffing to start your day with a breakfast burrito or use any delectable stuffing for a hearty and delicious meal. The burrito descended from the stuffed tortillas, served by Aztec people of Mexico, it was introduced to the rest of the western world by the Spaniards. In due course, burrito had undergone several modifications and now every region relishes their own version of this wrapped delight. Though, Mexicans love their burrito filled with beans, meat sauce, chili verda and guacamole but the Caribbean edition is burrito is equally compelling to our taste buds. The use of spices in jerk chicken, fruits and cooked rice along with cooked chicken sets it apart from the other burritos. The mangoes add a fruity sweet essence to the stuffing which creates a pleasant contrast with the piquant flavors of the spices while avocado delivers a creamy feel to our palate. The use of rice cooked with ground chicken turns the Caribbean burrito into a wholesome meal. So savor the fusion of Mexican and Caribbean flavors with this ground chicken Caribbean burrito.
- 6 wheat flour tortillas
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups rice
- ¾ tsp marjoram
- 2 ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¾ tsp thyme
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 tsp ground pepper
- 2 mangoes
- 1 avocado, cut into small cubes
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 8 oz shredded cabbage
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 tbsp canola oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken breast with all the spices and a dash of salt.
- Roast them in an oven for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees F and when when cooked through, cut them into dices and set aside.
- Sauté the ground chicken with chopped white and green onion, garlic and celery until the onions turn lucid.
- Throw in the rice, pour in chicken stock to it and season with salt and pepper.
- Boil the rice mixture and then cover it to cook under low flame for 20 minutes or until all the liquid disappears.
- Toss the cabbage, mangoes, avocado, cilantro and red onion together along with a splash of lemon juice into it.
- Spread a portion of the cooked rice lengthwise at the centre of a tortilla followed by a layer of roasted chicken breast.
- Top it up with the mango mixture and wrap one side of the tortilla over the other.
- Serve with a lemon wedge by its side.