Widely available and very affordable, ground chicken meat can be the main ingredient in a lot of different and nutritious recipes – burgers, chicken casseroles, meatballs and as a stuffing for probably as many dishes as you can come up with, like stuffed cabbage etc. The culinary masterpieces prepared from the ground chicken are a valuable source of many useful nutrients, such as potassium, sodium, protein, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamins A and E.
Here are some tips to help you enjoy and get the most out of ground chicken recipes.
- Bacteria start to develop in ground meat rather quickly, so it is better not to store it for long periods of time. Ground chicken should be handled right before cooking your favorite recipe.
- Raw ground chicken should be cooked very thoroughly
- Make sure you wash your hands before handling ground chicken or any kind of ground meat
- If you ground the chicken yourself, use only the best quality additive free, organic product
- To extend the shelf life of any ground meat and preserve its flavor, chefs sometimes use chopped onion.
- Cutlets, meatballs and similar foods prepared from ground chicken should be slightly roasted immediately. In their ready state these products can be stored no longer than a day.
- A little bit of water or milk can be added to the ground meat in order to make it juicier. Optionally you can also add some lightly roasted or raw onions.
- Ground chicken patties will not stick to each other and will be easier to handle if you add some potato flour to the meat.
- In order to trap the juices inside the meat when pan frying your ground chicken, be sure to use an extremely hot skillet.
- If you choose to fry ground poultry, it has to be done right before serving.
- Broun the ground chicken on all sides in a skillet until you get a golden brown color.
- When preparing burgers, cutlets, meatballs etc it is recommended to dip the hands in a bowl of water or cover them with vegetable oil – this way the meat won’t stick to the hands.
- To make your ground chicken dishes nice and juicy, brown the meat lightly on the skillet first, then move the meat over to the preheated oven to finish the cooking process.
- The finer the chicken is ground, the juicier the meat will turn out.
- When making ground chicken burgers, it is better to avoid adding eggs to the meat – their presence will kill off the pleasant smell of the grilled meat and the patties won’t be as tender. But there are certain ground chicken recipes that do require the eggs to be added.
- To make sure you ground chicken dish is cooked thoroughly, it has to be cooked for at least 12-15 minutes – first ten minutes on the stove, and then 5 minutes in the oven.
- Please follow the particular recipe instructions to get the best result for your ground chicken dish
And always remember – ground chicken is a very delicate product which should be handled very carefully.