Some hectic days do not allow us the luxury to sit back and enjoy a hearty meal in a leisurely pace. A quick fuss free meal is what you need to treat our hunger on days like that and what can be better than tacos with a delicious filling for such meals. The crisp tortilla embraced around a luscious filling is a true Mexican delight. You can stuff the tortillas with any filling your heart craves for. Whether you use seafood, meat or vegetables and cheese to fill up the tacos, this Mexican dish will charm your palate with its wide range of flavors every time. Tacos taste even better when savored with a creamy salsa, guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce and onions. There are two types of tortilla shells to choose from for making your own tacos. The hard shelled tacos give a crispy touch to the dish while the soft shelled ones are steamed or grilled and are much healthier. This recipe of tacos with ground chicken, beans and rice can be a delicious snack at any point during the day. The tangy tomatoes and gooey melted cheese boost up its flavors and turn this simple dish into an exquisite indulgence.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 16 hard shelled tacos
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 15 oz kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 ½ cup white rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 lettuce, shredded
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- Sauté the ground chicken and onions in butter over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over it and stir it in along with the tomato sauce and a cup of water.
- Boil the mixture and then simmer it over low flame.
- After 5 minutes, stir in the beans and rice, cover and continue to simmer until the liquid is absorbed and rice as well as the beans turns tender.
- Spread the cooked chicken mixture within the taco shells and top it up with lettuce, tomatoes and cheese.