Chicken parmigiana or chicken parmesan is a dish that hails from south Italy. The authentic chicken parmesan consists of shallow fried crispy chicken baked under creamy silky layers of parmesan cheese and marinara sauce. However, this ground chicken parmigiana recipe comes with a twist! In this derivative of the original dish, the ground chicken is shaped into patties and the cheese is incorporated into the chicken instead of being added in layers. This patty is then coated with marinara sauce and baked. The marinara sauce or the tomato sauce seasoned with herbs, onions, garlic, olives and capers carries the potential to transform even the simplest of dish into a lip-smacking affair and ground chicken parmegiana is not an exception. The cheesy herbed chicken patties, along with the zesty marinara sauce create a culinary rendition. You can serve it over a fresh salad, with chips by its side, to enjoy a luscious hearty meal. They also taste great inside submarine sandwiches and are a regular in Australian pubs and bistros. So enjoy the Italian flavors of ground chicken parmigiana to the fullest.
- 2 cups ground chicken
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 tbsp marinara sauce
- 2-3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1-2 tbsp butter, softened
- Mozzarella cheese
- Combine the ground chicken with parmesan cheese, beaten eggs and butter.
- Take portions of them on your palm and shape them into patties.
- Coat both sides of the patties with butter and arrange them on a greased baking dish.
- Spoon the marinara sauce over them and finish it up with mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake the chicken at 350 degrees F for half an hour or until the cheese attains a golden brown colour.
- Serve hot.