Bharwa Simla Mirch (Indian Green Bell Peppers Stuffed with Ground Chicken)
Bell pepper is one heck of a versatile vegetable to work with! The hollow interiors of bell peppers will tempt you to fill them up with delicious stuffing and create a stunner. Every cuisine has version of stuffed green bell peppers and Indian cuisine is not an exception. The Indians love to stuff them up with spicy filling. The elements of the filling range from rice, beans, lentil, potatoes, cottage cheese and meat. Though you might find them in other cuisine too but it is the use of spices which gives an Indian touch to these stuffed green peppers. A mixture of ground chicken with tomatoes is one of the most common filling for green bell peppers. The meaty flavor of ground chicken is perfectly complimented by the piquancy of Indian spices while the mustard sauce delivers a hint of pungency to the filling. While you gorge on these scrumptious bell peppers, you are actually earning benefits for your health at the same time. Bell peppers are packed with anti oxidants and nutrients, especially Vitamin C, and protect you from several maladies. Hence bring the taste of India on plate with these stuffed green bell peppers and relish the Indian flavors.
- 6 green bell peppers
- 300 gm ground chicken, boiled
- Few sprigs of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1’’ ginger, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Red chili powder
- 1 tsp mustard sauce
- 1 tsp tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
- 3 green chilies, chopped
- ½ cup cheese
- Warm up your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the top of each bell pepper and scoop out the seeds.
- Sauté the onions in oil over medium heat until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the green chilies, garlic, ginger and chopped tomato, continue to cook for some time.
- Stir in ground chicken and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Throw in the green peas and chopped cilantro, both the sauces along with the spices; season with salt and stir well to mix with the ground chicken.
- Stuff portions of the cooked filling inside each bell pepper.
- Top each of them with the grated cheese and arrange them on baking dish.
- Bake the bell peppers for 5-10 minutes and serve hot.